Gender and name changes in child support cases

The California Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) has issued a policy that individuals may change their gender with the DCSS at any time.  Local Child Support Agencies must accept any change of an individual’s gender to male, female or nonbinary without the need for documentation or form completion.  Gender changes may or may not be accompanied by name changes.

A name change requires a government issued form of identification such as a driver’s license or a Social Security card with a new legal name.

All Local Child Support Agencies must change all materials, including county specific forms and outreach materials, to comply with AB 179, the Gender Recognition Act, including but not limited to adding a nonbinary gender option and removing gender specific pronouns.  (CSSP Letter 19-06, July 31, 2019.)